New England Food Vision at The Festival
SBN is excited to be partnering with the Food Solutions New England (FSNE) regional network to present “The New England Village” at this year’s festival. The Village is a follow up to the Massachusetts launch and announcement of FSNE’s “50 by 60” vision at the 2014 Boston Local Food Festival. A New England Food Vision calls for our region to build the capacity to produce at least 50% of clean, fair, just, and accessible food for all New Englanders by 2060.
The New England Village will highlight a select few of our New England vendors as a sampling of how easy it is to support and celebrate our region’s interconnection, making a vision of 50 by 60 come to life! The New England Village is a feature of the Boston Local Food Festival demonstrating how each state in New England is working together to realize A New England Food Vision: 50 by 60.
2016 NEW ENGLAND VILLAGE
1:00 – 2:00 PM:
Learn about New England Resilience & Transition (NERT)’s “Omnivore’s Delight” Diet Challenge inspired by a New England Food Vision. Orion Kriegman and Amirah Mitchell will tell you how to sign up and take this 7-day Pledge!
2:30 – 3:30 PM:
Meet the Authors of a New England Food Vision in the 50 by 60 Gallery, where you can take a closer look at the Vision. Participating authors: Joanne Burke, University of New Hampshire Sustainability Institute and Tom Kelly, University of New Hampshire Sustainability Institute.
Meet vendors from around New England and learn more about our regional food system. Featured vendors and exhibitors in year’s New England Village include:
- Fox Point Pickling Company, Warren, RI with dill carrots, garlic dill and spicy dill pickles, sourcing locally that spice up any plate
- Maine Grains, Skowhegan, ME with organic locally sourced and grown stone milled grains and flour, primarily in ME
- Maple Craft Foods, LLC, Sandy Hook, CT with Maple syrup harvested in CT and sourced from local sugar makers in Southern VT, making the regional connection
- The Scoop, Lenox, MA, home of Blondie’s Homemade and serving favorite flavors of Gifford’s of Maine on hand, making another regional connection
- Maple Nut Kitchen LLC, Keene, NH with Gluten-free granola handmade using Ben’s Sugar Shack’s maple syrup and Attar Herbs’ spices, both in NH
- Sumptuous Syrups of Vermont, Hardwick, VT with Farm to Bar craft cocktail syrups made with fruits and savory ingredients grown on small family farms
- Mangé, Boston, MA with fresh fruit vinegars with fruit picked at its peak, puréed and preserved in vinegar
- Venus Wafers, Hingham, MA founded in 1931, with specialty organically certified stone wheat crackers