About SBN & Local Food Committee
Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN) has a mission of engaging business and community leaders in building economies that are local, green, and fair.
An essential component of a strong economy is a vibrant and diverse local food system. SBN has made strengthening the Massachusetts and New England food system a top priority. In 2009, SBN formed its Local Food Committee that has evolved into Boston Local Food Program. The objective is to organize events and programs that bring together individuals and local food organizations committed to promoting the eating of local food, with local defined within New England if not within Massachusetts.
SBN leads several innovative programs including:
- Local First Business Networks
- Sustainable Business Leader Program (SBLP)
- Local Food Collaborations
- Entrepreneur Roundtables and Programs
- Conferences and Workshops
The SBN Local Food Committee is a group of SBN members and friends who have a passion to transform the local food system of Eastern Massachusetts. It organizes events and programs that bring together individuals and local food organizations that are committed to promoting the eating of local food. The Local Food Committee has a mission of encouraging Eastern Massachusetts residents to shift 10% of the food we eat from non-local food to local food.
Seven Initiatives of SBN Local Food Committee:
- Produce the annual Boston Local Food Festival
- Encourage local restaurants to include local food (ALLocal Dinners, Local Dining Week)
- Support the local food incubator kitchens
- Grow food production in urban areas
- Increase retail and distribution of local food
- Map the local food system
- Initiate the Eastern MASS Local Food Network
- 7th Annual Boston Local Food Festival
- Updated Local Buying Guide for restaurants and retailers
- Local Specialty Crop and Local Food Trade Shows
- Garden Mixology Sessions
- Speed Trading Matchmaking Events
- Technical Assistance Workshops
- Hyper-Local and Local Craft Brewfests
Visit Boston Local Food for more information!
We hope to collaborate with businesses, non-profits, government agencies and individuals to achieve our goals.